How To Fix Torn or Split Earlobes


Woman With Earlobe Repair
Split or incompletely split earlobes are a common problem we see in our plastic surgery practice. Sometimes the split may be the result of a tear of the earlobe from an accident, say a woman getting an earring caught on something. In other instances, the split may result from a slow tearing of the skin in someone with diminished skin strength from wearing heavy earrings often. Either way, there is a remedy that can repair the damage.

Repairing Split Earlobes

In order to repair a split earlobe or widening pierced hole, you will need to have surgery. Surgery should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon to insure complete and safe correction of the problem. The surgery is done in the doctor’s office using local anesthetic – no sedation or general anesthesia is necessary. The surgical technique may vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually the scar from the tear is completely removed, and then the edges of the removal are sutured back together. It is possible, and recommended, that the original piercing hole be reconstructed so later piercing is not necessary.

Recovery is quick. You will most likely need to do some daily wound care to keep the area from infection. The sutures are removed after one week, and an earring can be placed in any remaining hole one month after the surgery. One important note, the repair of split earlobes is considered cosmetic surgery procedure and is not covered under any health insurance plan.


Women with a completely split earlobe may wish to have the earlobe repaired, with or without the original hole remaining. It’s important to talk to your surgeon and let them know during your consultation before surgery if you would still like to wear earrings after the procedure. For those who have an elongated earring hole they may want the earlobe repaired in preparation for later piercing but the original hole can also be retained. Either one or both of the earlobes may need repair, and one or both can be fixed during the same office visit.

Advanced Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery in Fairfield County, CT, we offer the newest and most sophisticated plastic surgery procedures for men and women, including repairing split earlobes, scar removal, as well as enhancement procedures such as facelifts, liposuction and breast enhancement. All procedures are done by our board certified plastic surgeons. ASC offices are located in the towns of Danbury, New Milford, Norwalk, and Ridgefield.

– David M. Goldenberg, MD


Topics: Blog, Cosmetic Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. David Goldenberg, Plastic Surgery