If you or someone in your family suffers from allergies, they may be caused or aggravated by allergens in your home such as mold, dust mites, pet dander and even pollen. Allergy medications may help relieve the symptoms, but removing irritants from your home is a much more effective way to stop your stuffy nose, itchy eyes, shortness of breath and other allergy symptoms.
Here are some simple steps you can take to reduce allergens in your home!
A good place to start clearing your house of allergens is the bedroom since you spend a lot of time in your bed! This checklist will help eliminate those invisible irritants as well as ensure you sleep better.
- Encase pillows, mattresses, and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers.
- Wash sheets, pillowcases, and blankets at least once a week in hot water.
- Using an air purifier may be helpful, especially if you have pets to which you are allergic. Choose an air filter that has a small-particle or HEPA filter.
- Put up blinds, shades, or washable curtains made of plain cotton or synthetic fabric.
The bathroom is another room that can be a sanctuary for hidden allergens such as mold. There are many types of mold and they can thrive in moist areas like your bathroom.
- Scrub all surfaces with bleach to remove any mildew/mold that is present. If mold grows again in the same area, you may need to remove that area of drywall.
- Paint walls with mold-resistant enamel paint.
- Install and use an exhaust fan to reduce moisture while taking baths or showers.
- Repair any leaks that could promote mold and mildew growth.
- Remove carpeting and use tile, vinyl, wood, or linoleum flooring and replace with washable area rugs or bath mats.
We love our pets, but they can be a big problem for allergy sufferers. If your family pet is the troublemaker for your allergies, here are some ways to help.
- Keep animals out of the bedroom and off the bed.
- Regularly groom pets to help reduce the amount of hair they shed that can contain allergens.
You may think pollen is only an issue if you’re outside. But there are steps you can take inside your home to mitigate the effects of pollen.
- Take a shower daily in the evening, after returning indoors for the last time that day, to wash pollen off skin/hair. Change clothes after showering.
- Keep the windows closed inside your home and car to block pollen from entering.
- Use the air conditioner to filter the air in your home.
- Apply saline drops to your eyes to wash away pollen once inside.
- Wash your hands every time you come indoors.
General Suggestions for Your Home
To keep your house as allergen-free as possible, here are a few more simple steps to take.
- Remove carpeting if possible. If that isn’t an option, use low-pile instead of high-pile carpeting and vacuum weekly.
- Consider replacing upholstered sofas and chairs with furniture made of leather, wood, metal or plastic.
- Clean mold and condensation from window frames and sills.
- Avoid the use of wood-burning fireplaces or stoves as smoke and gases can worsen respiratory allergies. Most natural gas fireplaces won’t cause a problem.
- Maintain your home’s temperature at between 68°F and 72°F, and humidity no higher than 50% to reduce dust mites and mold.
- Use a dehumidifier in your basement or damp areas of the house.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter.
At Advanced Specialty Care, our board-certified Allergists and Asthma specialists can provide testing and treatment for seasonal, food, pet, insect allergies and more, as well as asthma. We offer advanced treatment for peanut, tree nut, dairy, egg and sesame allergies using oral immunotherapy or food allergy desensitization. Allergy and Asthma appointments are available in our Danbury, New Milford, Norwalk and Ridgefield locations. If you have questions about Food Oral Immunotherapy, allergy testing, allergy treatments or would like to schedule an appointment, please call our office at (203) 830-4700 or simply click here to fill out an appointment request form
Advanced Specialty Care is a multi-specialty private practice caring for patients in Fairfield County, CT for over 30 years. We are committed to the well-being of our patients. In addition to Allergy & Asthma, we have expertise in Audiology, Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery, Dermatology and Skin Care, Ear, Nose & Throat, Head & Neck Surgery and Hand Surgery. Our six, convenient Connecticut offices include, Danbury, New Milford, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Southbury, and Stamford. If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call our office at (203) 830-4700 or simply click here to fill out an appointment request form.
You May Also Be Interested In: